Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Money Matters

Three men walked into a hotel, and asked the bellboy for the price of a room. The bellboy quoted them $30, the men paid the money equally (i.e. each paid $10), and went to their room. The manager came afterward, and asked the bellboy if anything happened in the last few moments when he was not around. The bellboy told him about what had happened, and the manager said that the price charged ought to have been $26, and made the bellboy return the $4 back to the men. The bellboy went to return the difference to the men, but decided to keep $1 into his pocket for himself on his way to return the money.

Thus the $3 given back to the men meant that each of them, in effect, paid $9 for the room. So $9x3 =$27, plus $1 that the bellboy kept for himself = $28.

So, where did the $2 go to?


My boss asked me this question all of a sudden as I was seated in front of him at his office, and said that "If you get the answer I'll give you a treat. If you don't you'll have to give me a treat."

This was somewhat puzzling at first. And I thought I wouldn't be able to solve this little quiz. At least for the day.

Then he left the room for a short while, and I decided to ponder about it for a lil.

A couple of minutes later, I got it right, and he said I'm a smart girl! And that I am logical. Anyhow, he then added, "I owe you a meal." YAYYY (:

No comments:

Post a Comment