Sunday, March 7, 2010

Weight Matters now

So my boss, being somewhat "disappointed" that I got his first lil riddle right, was back talking serious business with me at his office. Then in the middle of nowhere, on that piece of rough paper, he said he wanted to ask me something.

And he started drawing 5 containers.

-.-

Each container had the same number of marbles. So, n marbles. Also, all marbles are identical in size and appearance. Each marble in each container weights 1 gram, but in one container all the marbles each are 1.1 gram heavy instead. With a weighing machine, given that you can only use it (i.e. read off the weight shown off the screen) once, and that you can do anything with the set-up, how would you identify which container has those heavier marbles?

I thought that was the end of me as he asked such question to me towards the end of the day. After a few minutes he started whistling whilst checking his emails.

But it didn't take much longer for me to crack that. And once I got it I knew I had gotten it (:

No comments:

Post a Comment